Friday, December 2, 2011

We are Way Too Old for this!!!!

Once again, Barry had me out and about after another fabulous breakfast at The Dairy! We drove back to Arrowtown to pick up a few items for Santa! We love Arrowtown. The entire main street was blocked off for a 3 course luncheon. The tables were in a long line from one end of town to the other! We had fun observing! We drove back to Queenstown.....it is a beautiful short drive! When we got back to our hotel, Barry wanted to go see the kiwi feeding and maybe take the gondola up to see the beautiful views of Queenstown and the surrounding area. I had been talking about bungy jumping for quite a while ...... I know we discussed it in Jackson. Well, I think I discussed it and Barry ignored me! Every time I have brought it up....through out our Africa trip, he has ignored me, or just shook his head and remained silent ( I know, hard to believe!), or just told me NO! He was happy for me to do a foolish thing like that, but he was not participating! He explained that "there would be no returns on that investment" ......?????? WHATEVER!!!! Well, I signed us up! Unhappily, he went with me to The Station where we board the bus for the hour drive. After we checked in, we were sitting in this large room waiting for our ride....and there were videos on showing the bungy jump. Barry found out that we were NOT doing the 47 meter jump...but that I had signed us up for the 134 meter jump! They kept saying on the video that it is the equivalent of jumping off of a 64 story building. BARRY WAS EXTREMELY UNHAPPY!!!!! And I am putting it mildly!!!!! I was thrilled, enthusiastic, energized, and eager! We missed our bus....because Barry was reading an email to me from Dan Hise...and we did not hear the announcement. Barry was thrilled! He was so very hopeful that this solved the whole "problem"! No worries....as the Kiwi love to say! They got a bus just for us! It was a 4 wheel drive bus...has to be to get up the 1 lane dirt and gravel road up the side of the mountain! We got all geared up with harnesses when we got there and headed out to the deck for the gondola to take us to the platform. First of all, we were by far the oldest people with in miles of this place! Secondly, it was a LONG, LONG, LONG drop!!!!!! To a SHALLOW ROCKY RIVER! I wanted to go first, but they made Barry go first! He really did not want to do it. He asked the bungy workers a zillion questions. I am very excited and smug about the whole thing! He dives off....yelling, I must add. But, he had a blast! It is my turn and I am smiling and so excited! I get to the edge, look over and get a vise grip on the workers arm! I look at Barry and say.....as I am on the edge, toes hanging over....."I have changed my mind! I am not doing this!". The worker is encouraging me.....And Barry yells, "You better come back to me!" as I swan dive over! I didn't make a sound. It was beautiful, scary, thrilling, nuts, exhilarating, idiotic, and crazy! Loved it! Poor Barry, he just wanted to watch the kiwis being fed!!!! But, he is a great sport and supporter!!!! We ate at a fab place for dinner...Botswana Butchery. Yum! We took a walk around the botanic gardens after our great meal.

2 comments:

  1. Angelyn!

    Just ignore my other comments because I saw those pictures before I saw this. Not sure why! Anyhow, I cannot BELIEVE y'all did this and lived to tell about it! Girl, are you both smoking crack??? I would have to be to bungee jump. My aged body couldn't take it. Okay, that being said, I'm glad it was fun. I forget that you two were cheerleaders and did this sort of thing on a daily basis, well sort of. But that was how many years ago???

    Bombs away...

    LOL!

    XO,

    She

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I trusted Dad to keep yall safe. not anymore. caroline, davis and i think we need to hire a babysitter.

    ReplyDelete