Friday, October 28, 2011

Do as I say and NOT as I do!

We have done things today that I would kill my children if they did them! The morning was exciting....as were trying to exit our cabin to go to the dining room, we were met by a herd of around 20 elephants. We had to be very quiet and back away back to our door until they passed. Fabulous to watch! We went on a tour of Victoria Falls early this morning. Truly breath-taking! And then we had signed up to do a lunch trip to Livingston Island which is in the middle of the falls very close to the edge. We were in a most unusual but interesting group that we enjoyed very much. We went by boat to Livingston Island....and then we did something that was fun...but stupid....we swam and walked/climbed over rocks very close to the edge....probably 30 feet from the "See Ya!" edge! AND THEN...HERE COMES THE REALLY STUPID PART (the Atkins family would say the IDIOT part) we slid/jumped into an area called the Devil's Pool. We did have 2 guides with us. We were right on the edge in an eddy area. AND THEN THE REALLY REALLY REALLY IDIOT PART......WE ACTUALLY LET THE GUIDE HOLD OUR FEET WHILE WE HUNG....WELL, MAYBE JUST LOOKED OVER THE EDGE!!!! Cannot believe we did that!!!!! Katie, Taylor, Caroline, Lane, and Davis....DO NOT EVER DO THIS!!!!!! We drove back to the lodge is a thunderstorm in an open top Land Rover! We then watched the elephants again that were right by our cottage and across the river until we took a boat with Junior up the Zambezi tiger fishing. We did't have much luck but it was beautiful and fun. Junior had to speed up the boat to go up the rapids which was fun except it threw me out of my seat and onto the floor of the boat and I broke my new prescription sunglasses!!!!! UGH!!!!! I have so enjoyed really seeing out of my new sunglasses, John McVey! I am very sad! Barry got his lure hung up and offered to get out and unhang it....Junior pointed out that they crocs would love a nice dinner.. Barry decided to cut his loses! We are off to Botswana for a week....no wifi....so no news from me! Take care everyone! Xoxoxo

1 comment:

  1. Angelyn, I had to laugh at this, but girl, you and The Barry are living on the edge...literally! Like I have to tell you that.

    Glad you survived to tell about your adventure and to scold your chillun into never doing anything like this. LOL!

    Have fun and stay faaaaaaaaaaaaar away from hungry crocs. Sorry about the sunglasses. Don't you hate that? I hope Barry has another lure, too.

    We are having wildlife adventures of our own. A squirrel managed to chew his way into our eave on the Jax house (naturally, a new one has to be handmilled as it's OLD), and I've had the critter getter out to trap him. The guy looked and SOUNDED exactly like Ray Ramono! ;-) Let's just hope the gizmo he hooked up works. We've been battling all sorts of critters lately, and I'm determined to win! Thank goodness the eagle who lives across the street has been trying to help us.

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete