Friday, November 4, 2011

October 29 - BARBIE PLANES AND UNIFORMS

BARBIE PLANES AND UNIFORMS

After 3 extremely HOT flights in a "Barbie plane", paying departure and arrival fees and taxes, and signing various visa forms, we finally arrived in the heart of the Okavango Delta in Botswana. May I say to my dear friends (and you know who you are!) that must pop a Xanax before boarding any flight, "Go to Europe! These flights are not for you!". First of all, the pilots appear to be in junior high! Barry is sure they are not shaving yet. These planes are VERY old. They are VERY hot! You can only bring small soft duffle bags! Forget your fashionable rolling luggage! In fact, you are allotted so little weight and space, you have to pretty much ditch everything! The good thing is that everyone is dressed almost the same. I wish that we had stock in ExOfficio clothing brand....for I haven't met a fellow traveler that wasn't decked out in it yet! I now know what it feels like to wear a uniform to school! Jao Camp is really cool....looking....not cool in the sense of temperature! We are in tents.....but that is a bit misleading! We are way up....the whole camp is built up to allow animals to pass underneath tented and walkways. They tents are very large....we have a sitting room, bedroom, outdoor shower, indoor shower, and a loo with a view. A part of our tent area includes an outdoor deck with chairs, a hammock, and an outdoor lounging bed. All of this faces a fabulous lush marshy lagoon. We are watching a red lechwe in the marsh and listening to a symphony of bird and animal sounds as I type. We arrived in time to settle in and have High Tea. Then went for a boat ride around the area with our guide. I think our guide said his name was Vundee...but Barry thinks he said it is Bundi. I am going with Barry because in Kenya I was SURE our guide's name was Vincent..... after calling him that for 2 days, we found out that Barry was right...BUT....to my defense, we met an English couple in Zambia. He said that he had been to Mississippi. Of course I asked why.....I heard him say that he was there for A HAIR SHOW.....Barry heard him say for an AIR SHOW! Barry began talking airplanes and such with him.......the man had a very puzzled look on his face to me....he finally explained to Barry that he knew zero about airplanes......yep, it was hair shows !

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment