Sunday, November 20, 2011

Playing Chicken on 100 One Way Bridges!

We awoke to a gloomy, rainy morning. But, when you look outside and see these gardens at Eden House, everything looks sunny...even when the sky is covered with thick clouds. Of course, I think my husband looks at inclement weather as a challenge! I think he really loves it....like I know my friend Melissa Abraham does! So, we of course did not play it safe today by going into Nelson and visiting art galleries....OH NO....we drove over mountains! The rain stopped and the clouds began to flee when we started our trek over the mountains...which was great! We must have encountered over 100 one way bridges! And Barry is not shy about racing to the bridge with an oncoming car or truck to see who can get there first! And I might ad that I have never gone around as many curves as we did today! John and Elise must NEVER take their "prone to car sickness" children to Farewell Spit! Ever! I felt like we were in a time warp when we went through the town on Takaka. I haven't seen that many tie-dyed shirts, bellbottoms, and bare feet in a very long time! We went through a tiny town called Collingwood....TINY! But I found a chocolate shop there! And WOW!!!! It was fantastic! When we came to a dirt/gravel road (and might I add that it was after a LONG one-way bridge!!) did Barry hesitate to take it...even though our car rental agreement says NO UNPAVED ROADS....of course not! At the end of that up and down dirt road, we finally made it to Farewell Spit. And it was beautiful! On our way back, we stopped at a beautiful spring called Pu Pu Springs....huge! It is supposedly the cleanest, purest water on earth. It produces over 450,000,000 gallons on water every 24 hours....but yes, they call it Pu Pu Springs!

1 comment:

  1. I was missing you today as I cooked for thanksgiving! had several culinary questions. I did have the weather channel on....we had THUNDERSTORMS.....you know me very well! Please hurry home!

    ReplyDelete